– Academic Employment History
– Academic Distinctions, Honors, Awards
– Partial List of Accomplishments and Activities at Oxford University
– Research Funding Awards
– Membership in Professional Organizations and Related Activities
– Sessions Organized (Selected), International Meetings and Conferences
ACADEMIC DISTINCTIONS, HONORS, AWARDS
- Cited in Marquis Who’s Who in the World, Marquis Who’s Who in the USA, Marquis Who’s Who in America, Marquis Who’s Who in the American West, the International Directory of Distinguished Leadership, Who’s Who in the International Gas Turbine Institute, Strathmore’s Who’s Who, Marquis Who’s Who, Marquis Who’s Who in Science and Engineering, A. C. Black Who’s Who, Academic Keys Who’s Who in Engineering Higher Education, and American Men and Women of Science.
- Commendation letters for outstanding teaching – ranked in top 15% of the University of Utah College of Engineering course instructors. (i) ME EN 7660-Advanced Convection Heat Transfer, Spring Semester of 2004. (ii) ME EN 5810 / ME EN 6810-Thermal Systems Design, Autumn Semester of 2003. (iii) ME EN 7660-Advanced Convection Heat Transfer, Spring Semester of 2003. (iv) ME EN 7660-Advanced Convection Heat Transfer, Spring Semester of 2002. (v) ME EN 3600-Thermodynamics II, Autumn Semester of 2001. (vi) ME EN 3600-Thermodynamics II, Spring Semester of 2001. (vii) ME EN 3600-Thermodynamics II, Autumn Semester of 1999. (viii) ME562-Thermal Systems Design, Spring Quarter of 1998. (ix) ME665-Advanced Heat Transfer II, Winter Quarter of 1997. (x) ME562-Thermal Systems Design, Spring Quarter of 1996. (xi) ME360-Engineering Thermodynamics, Fall Quarter of 1995. (xii) ME362-Power Thermodynamics, Winter Quarter of 1995. (xiii) ME362-Power Thermodynamics, Spring Quarter of 1994.
- November 2016, Marquis Lifetime Achievement Award, Marquis Who’s Who, New Providence, New Jersey, USA.
- October 1, 2016 to September 30, 2018, Distinguished Advisory Professor, Department of Mechanical Engineering, Inje University, Gimhae, South Korea.
- July 2016, Invited Lecture, “Turbine Component Aerodynamic Losses Within Gas Turbine Engines” for the “China-Germany Workshop on Gas Turbine Technologies: Aerodynamics, Heat Transfer, and Combustion,” ITLR-Institute of Aerospace Thermodynamics, University of Stuttgart, Stuttgart, Germany, and Shanghai Jiao Tong University, Shanghai, P. R. China.
- March 2016, Invited Article for Heat Transfer Research, Special Issue: Heat Transfer Advances for Energy Conservation and Pollution Control (IWHT2013), “Jet Array Impingement Cooling Local Nusselt Number Variations: Effects of Hole Array Spacing, Jet-to-Target Plate Distance, and Reynolds Number.”
- March 2016, Chairman of the Heat Transfer Committee of the ASME International Gas Turbine Institute, ASME K-14 Gas Turbine Heat Transfer Committee (term of appointment is July 1, 2016 to June 30, 2018).
- February 2016 Outstanding Mechanical Engineer of the Year Award 2016, ASME – American Society of Mechanical Engineers, NAS – North Alabama Section, Huntsville, Alabama, USA.
- January 2016 – Present, Associate Fellow, AIAA – American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- January 2016, Invited to contribute a chapter on “Forced Convection – External Flow” to the Handbook of Thermal Science and Engineering, Springer Publishing Corporation, Editor: Francis A. Kulacki.
- January 2016 Invited as Lead Editor of Special Issue of “Recent Advances in Enhanced Heat Transfer and Engineering Applications,” Cogent Engineering Journal, CRC Press, Taylor and Francis Group.
- January 2016, Invited Paper, “Onset and Transition to Elastic Turbulence: Effects of Rheological Property Variations for Polyacrylamide-Water Solutions,” B. Lund, P. M. Ligrani, and A. Fatemi, 20th International Colloquium Tribology – Industrial and Automotive Lubrication, Stuttgart / Ostfildern, Germany.
- December 2015, Certificate of Excellence. Propulsion Research Center. With recognition of the sustained and dedicated efforts of faculty and staff for their roles as mentors, educators, and leaders. Office of the Vice President for Research and Economic Development (OVPRED), University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama, USA.
- November 2015 to Present, Editorial Board Member, Power and Thermal Engineering Processes and Equipment Journal, ISSN: 2078-774X, Published by the National Technical University “Kharkov Polytechnic Institute”, Russia and Ukraine.
- October 2015 to Present, Editorial Board Member, International Journal of Innovative Works in Engineering and Technology (IJIWET), ISSN: 2455-5797, Published by NAANJIL, India.
- October 2015, Invited Plenary Paper, ICHHFF5, Fifth International Conference “Heat and Mass Transfer and Hydrodynamics in Swirled Flows,” National Committee of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Kazan, Russia.
- October 2015, Invited Plenary Paper, ICTE 2015, International Conference: “IX Workshop on Thermophysics and Power Engineering for Higher Education Institutions,” Ministry of Education and Science of the Russian Federation, Kazan State Power Engineering University, Kazan, Russia.
- August 2015 to Present, Associate Editor, Journal of Propulsion Technology (JPT), ISSN: 1001-4055, Published by CNPIEC, P. R. China.
- July 2015, Distinguished Visiting Scholar, School of Energy and Power, Dalian University of Technology, Dalian, P. R. China.
- March 4, 2015, Sponsored Representative, CVD – Congressional Visits Day, U. S. Senate and House of Representatives, Washington, D. C. Sponsored by Greater Huntsville Section of the AIAA – American Institute of Aeronautics and Astronautics.
- January 23, 2015, Eminent Scholar Inaugural Seminar, “Heat Transfer and Aerodynamics Research For Gas Turbines and Other Propulsion Systems,” Eminent Scholar in Propulsion, College of Engineering, University of Alabama in Huntsville, Huntsville, Alabama, USA.
- October 1, 2014 to September 30, 2016, Distinguished Advisory Professor, School of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Inje University, Gimhae, South Korea.
- September 2014, Distinguished Visiting Professor, School of Energy and Power Engineering, Beihang University, BUAA – Beijing University of Aeronautics and Astronautics, Beijing, P. R. China.
- September 2014, Keynote Lecture at the ISJPPE 2014 – International Symposium on Jet Propulsion and Power Engineering, Beijing, P. R. China.
- September 2014, Plenary Lecture at the 2nd International Conference and Exhibition on Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering – Mech-Aero-2014 – in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania (Note: did not accept this invitation).
- March 2014, Member of the Scientific Committee, ICHHFF5, Fifth International Conference “Heat and Mass Transfer and Hydrodynamics in Swirled Flows,” National Committee of the Russian Academy of Sciences, Kazan, Russia, October 19-21, 2015.
- February 2014, Vice-Chairman of the Heat Transfer Committee of the ASME International Gas Turbine Institute, ASME K-14 Gas Turbine Heat Transfer Committee (term of appointment is July 1, 2014 to June 30, 2016).
- February 2014, Invited Lecture, Academic Forum on Gas Turbine Technology, Opening Ceremony for the Institute of Gas Turbines, Beijing Tsinghua University, Beijing, P. R. China.
- February 2014-February 2017. Vice-Chairman and Member, Academic Committee, Institute of Gas Turbines, Beijing Tsinghua University, Beijing, P. R. China.
- January 2014, Elected to be a member of the Scientific Council of the ICHMT – International Center for Heat and Mass Transfer. Nominated for membership by Professor Richard Goldstein of the University of Minnesota.
- January 2014, Panelist, “Educating Today’s and Tomorrow’s Propulsion Engineers” Panel, “Continuing Education and Professional Development” Program of the AIAA Science and Technology Forum and Exposition – SCITECH 2014, Washington, D.C.
- October 2013, Invited Lecture, Evolution of Secondary Dean Vortices in Spiral Microchannels for Cell Separations, Miniaturized Systems for Chemistry and Life Sciences MicroTAS 2013, University of Freiburg, Freiburg, Germany.
- October 2013, Plenary Lecture as an Invited Keynote Speaker, Recent Developments in Impingement Array Cooling, Including Consideration of the Separate Effects of Mach Number, Reynolds Number, Temperature Ratio, Hole Spacing, and Jet-to-Target Plate Distance, IWHT2013, 2nd International Workshop on Heat Transfer Advances for Energy Conservation and Pollution Control, Northwestern Polytechnical University (NPU), Xi’an, P. R. China.
- October 2013, Distinguished Visiting Professor, School of Energy and Power Engineering, Institute of Turbomachinery, Xi’an Jiaotong University, Xi’an, P. R. China.
- November 2012, Invited Plenary Keynote Paper, New Developments in Surface Heat Transfer Augmentation Technologies as Applied to Internal Flow Environments, ISTP-23, The 23rd International Symposium on Transport Phenomena, The University of Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand.
- October 1, 2012 to September 30, 2014, Distinguished Advisory Professor, School of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Inje University, Gimhae, South Korea.
- September 2012, Invited Keynote Paper, Invited Expert, Heat Transfer Augmentation Technologies for Internal Cooling of Turbine Components of Gas Turbine Engines, Fourth International Symposium on Jet Propulsion and Power Engineering, 4th ISJPPE Meeting, Northwestern Polytechnical University, Xi’an, P. R. China.
- September 2012, Invited Lecture, Turbine Research at Saint Louis University, Turbine Engine Technology Symposium (TETS), Dayton Convention Center, Dayton, Ohio, USA.
- January 2012, Invited Paper, Spiral Inertial Microfluidic Devices For Continuous Blood Cell Separation, MOEMS-MEMS Conference on Micro- and Nano-Fabricated Electromechanical and Optical Components, SPIE – International Society for Optics and Photonics, San Francico, California, USA.
- November 2011, Invited Keynote Paper, Aerodynamic Loss Determination and Evaluation in Turbine Components, 11th Asian International Conference on Fluid Machinery, and 3rd Fluid Power Technology Exhibition, Indian Institute of Technology Madras, Chennai, India.
- November 2011, Invited Keynote Paper, Aerodynamic Losses in Turbines With and Without Film Cooling, IGTC’11 Osaka, International Gas Turbine Congress 2011 Osaka, 10th Congress in Japan, Gas Turbine Society of Japan, Osaka, Japan.
- June 2011, Silver Winner – Annual 26th Educational Advertising Awards, for Brochure – Graduate Program Profile – Saint Louis University – Parks College, Higher Ed Marketing, Higher Education Marketing Report.
- May 2011, Invited Lecture, New Developments in Continuous SPLITT Fractionation, 15th International Symposium on Field- and Flow-Based Separations (FFF2011), CASSS – International Separation Science Society, South San Francisco Conference Center, South San Francisco, California, USA.
- April 2011, Distinguished Lecture Award, Over-Tip Shock Wave Structure and Its Impact on Turbine Blade Tip Heat Transfer Including the Effects of Varying Tip Gap, CEAS Distinguished Lecture Series, Department of Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering, University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee, Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA.
- November 2010, Invited Lecture, Fluid Mechanics Research at Saint Louis University, Air Mobility Command (AMC) – Air Force Research Laboratory (AFRL) Symposium, Innovative Aerodynamics: Potential Solutions for Improving Mobility Efficiency, Fairview Heights, Illinois, USA.
- October 1, 2010 to September 30, 2012, Distinguished Advisory Professor, School of Mechanical and Automotive Engineering, Inje University, Gimhae, South Korea.
- September 16, 2010, Invested as Oliver L. Parks Endowed Chair (July 2010-present), Saint Louis University, St. Louis, Missouri, USA.
- August 2009, International Scientific Committee, International Symposium on “Heat Transfer in Gas Turbine Systems,” Antalya, Turkey, August 9-14, 2009.
- October 2008, Technology Trends in the Gas Turbine Industry, Invited Keynote Paper – 4th International Conference on the Future of Gas Turbine Technology, European Turbine Network Conference, Brussels, Belgium.
- November 2007, Smart Materials and Smart Structures for Aerodynamicists: Benefits, Challenges, Opportunities, Visions. Invited Lecture – Aerospace 2030 – The Role of Smart Materials, Begbroke Centre for Innovation and Enterprise, Department of Engineering Science, Oxford University, Oxford, England, United Kingdom.
- Degree of Master of Arts by Resolution, Register of Congregation, University of Oxford, High Street, Oxford OX1 4BG, United Kingdom
- Member, Distinguished Editorial Review Board, Advances in Transport Phenomena, Book Series, Springer Publishing Corporation, 2006-present.
- September 25-29, 2006, Dimple Array Effects on Turbulent Heat Transfer and Flow Structure, Invited Keynote Lecture, Fifth International Symposium on Turbulence, Heat, and Mass Transfer, Dubrovnik, Croatia.
- December, 2004, Co-Editor, Special Issue “Gas Turbine Heat Transfer,” ASME Transactions-Journal of Heat Transfer.
- March 2003, Invited Review Paper, “Comparison of Heat Transfer Augmentation Techniques,” AIAA Journal, Vol. 41, No. 3, pp. 337-362.
- September 2002, Recognition for highest ranked course taught in Department of Mechanical Engineering. Ranking provided by seniors graduating in Spring Semester of 2002.
- May 2001, June 2002, June 2004, Invited Visiting Scholar, National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine, Institute of Engineering Thermophysics, Kiev-57, 252057, Ukraine.
- May 2001, Invited Speaker, Ukraine-USA Workshop, “Innovative Aerothermal and Combustion Technologies in Energy and Power Systems.”
- December 2000, Elected to Fellow Grade in American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME).
- April 2000-June 2000, Guest Professor, Institut fuer Thermische Stroemungs-maschinen, Universitaet Karlsruhe, Kaiserstrasse 12, 76128 Karlsruhe, Germany.
- June 1999-August 1999, AGTSR Faculty Fellowship at General Electric Corp.-Corporate Research and Development. Funded by the SCERDC, South Carolina Energy Research and Development Center.
- June 1998-December 2000, Guest Editor, Special Topical Issue on “Measuring Techniques for Turbomachinery,” Measurement Science and Technology.
- June 1995, Professor of the Year Award, presented by the undergraduates of the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Utah for exceptional teaching.
- June-July 1993, Invited Speaker, Second Colloquium on Turbomachinery, TPMRC-Turbo and Power Machinery Research Center, Seoul National University, Seoul, Korea.
- November 1991, NASA Space Act Tech Brief Award, ARC-12228-1, “Development of Subminiature Multi-Sensor Hot-Wire Probes.”
- October 1991, October 1990, October 1989, Naval Postgraduate School Faculty Performance Awards.
- December 1990, Carl E. and Jessie W. Menneken Faculty Award for Excellence in Scientific Research.
- November 1982-November 1983, Visiting Senior Research Fellowship, Department of Aeronautics, Imperial College of Science and Technology. Nomination by Professor Peter Bradshaw, Head, Aerodynamics, Department of Aeronautics.
- September 1974-June 1975, Stanford University Fellowship.
- May 1974, Bachelor of Science Degree with Highest Honors, Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Texas at Austin.
- March 1973, Pi Tau Sigma, Tau Beta Pi memberships.
- April 1970, Moody Foundation Scholar. The Moody Foundation, 704 Moody National Bank Building, Galveston, Texas, 77550, U.S.A.